Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Andy Goldsworthy (and my terrible temper)

I've loved Andy Goldsworthy's work from the first moment I saw the documentary Rivers and Tides. That was the day the Documentary channel proved its worth to me, and then cemented that proof with a film about female pimps later that week.

via
via

via
via
His work is beautiful and soothing and calm, although painstakingly tedious to construct. In Rivers and Tides, it shows him piling stone after stone to make his signature hive structures, only to have the whole thing collapse on him after hours of work. He looks defeated, sure, but he just sighs and starts piling rocks again.

That is some impressive self control.

I just recently used a metal file to file some skin off my thumb, and then proceeded to stab my hand with a screwdriver (I drew blood, no biggie). So I threw the makeshift bowling pin lamp at the couch and shrilly exclaimed "I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS RIGHT NOW!". At that point I can't help but think to myself: "take it easy, lady". Take it easy, indeed.

5 comments:

  1. oh wow. this is awesome stuff. thanks for sharing. & i totally understand the outburst, i get like that too sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are amazing.

    i, too, of the when-in-doubt-and-irrationally-pissed-throw-it school of temper.

    trying to work through it, as i nearly always regret it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog by accident. Great shot of the two horses. By the way, I am looking to expand my world wide business. If you are interested in earning significant income along with what you are doing, email me for info at greenmonstertruck@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The organic patterns are so lovely. It seems patience would be a great virtue for this...something I too do not possess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The work is amazing... and you are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Please do!